Bethany Lutheran Church, ELCA
Who Are We?
Welcome

Who are we?

Staff and Council
Schedule and Activities
Concert Schedule
Newsletter
Links
Calendar
Map
FarmShare
Pastors' Study Group
LYONS
Word from the Deacon

A Brief Introduction

Organized in 1908 by Swedish immigrants, Bethany Lutheran Church today serves the diverse community of the Green Lake area. The present sanctuary, one block east of Green Lake, was dedicated in 1955 and seats 250 worshipers. The fellowship hall seats 200. An educational wing houses Sunday school rooms, offices, the Augustana Room and an extensive library. There is wheelchair access to the sanctuary via a ramp entrance from the parking lot.

The membership draws mostly from the Green Lake, University District and Northeast Seattle areas. There are several four-generation families in the congregation as well as many young households. The congregation enjoys active ecumenical relationships with Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist and Seventh Day Adventist congregations in the neighborhood.

Bethany Lutheran Church participates together with nine other ELCA congregations in the activities of the Lutheran Youth of North Seattle(LYONS). Regular program offerings for Middle School, Senior High and opst-Senior High youth, retreats, conferences and service projects are celebrated jointly with these parishes. A calendar of current events is available.

The sanctuary was renovated in 1999, acoustically improved, now hosts concerts and recitals on a regular basis. The Connie and Roy Anderson pipe organ was rebuilt by the Portland, Oregon, firm of Marceau & Associates (Mark Dahlberg, designer) in 1998. The special edition Steinway B grand piano given by the family of Martin Semrau in 1999 is often used by recitalists in the area. The Seattle Medieval Women's Choir, the Olympic Brass Ensemble and Baroque Arts Northwest are in residence and regularly offer concerts.